Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 6 - Leaving Tatamagouche, NS and heading to Halifax, NS - July 18th

above photo credit: Jane Kennedy

This day had mixed emotions for me. It was sad to say goodbye to all the new family that I finally got to get to meet and know better, and I knew our drive to Halifax would take us through the town where my mother-in-law was born and raised, Bible Hill near Truro, Nova Scotia.


For those of you who don't know, my mother-in-law Ruth, was my best friend since I moved to Canada 11 years ago. She was a remarkable woman, so sophistocated, yet so down to earth. Driving toward Truro from Tatamagouche, it reminded me so much of the back roads of the Pennsylvania Mountains where I lived for 22 years. I wondered if she saw the similarity when we took her to Pennsylvania. Two country girls at heart that still enjoyed city life.
The photo below is of Ruth on my Birthday outside of the Royal Alexandra Theater, Toronto. We would always go someplace special on our birthdays for lunch and it always consisted of Nova Scotia seafood.

As we approached Bible Hill, I said to my husband, there is Pictou Street where your Mum was raised. I am so glad that he immediately turned around, as I too wanted to feel the closeness. First thing he spotted was his Uncle Petes Subway Bottle Exchange. He didn't even have the recollection that it was on the same street where his Mom was raised, but he remembered being there as a child and visiting Uncle Petes wrecking yard out back.

The house next door was #24, but we were under the impression that her house was #13. I will have to verify this later.

If her house was #13, then they paved paradise and put up a parking lot:-(

This was a cute little McDonalds Express drive through (below photo) in a gas station in Truro, NS.

Well all the tears aside now, I had the city life to look forward to again, and some real pampering on my vacation. Halifax, yea! Room Service, housekeeping service, valet service, seafood, and just being a plain old pain in the ass tourist. hehehehe

The above was the view from our window at the Radisson Suites Halifax, just two blocks from the waterfront. Perfect Location

The two room suite was just fantastic!

The room was so clean! From valet service to front desk, everyone was so friendly.



The first thing we did was check out the waterfont and get a feel for the town.

Above, a view of Georges Island, Halifax Harbour.


The HMCS Sackville, the last of the Corvette class of Naval Ships. This was very interesting to John, as a Corvette was what his father was stationed on during the war years. HMCS is short for Her Majesty's Canadian Ship.





The HMCS Sackville (above photo)

Theodore Tugboat below is a popular attraction based on a Canadian childrens show.

The next thing that happend to me was really incredible. We were almost off the pier when I turned around for one last look toward the harbor and I spotted two boats approaching. I immediately said to my husband "Look, I think those are two Nordhavns coming in" To me that was special because I'm editorial assistant for Circumnavigator Magazine which is all about Nordhavn Yachts. I know these boats inside and out but have only been on one, which was Island Magic which came through our home area on the Trent Severn Waterway.

If you ever want to cross an ocean, these are the boats to do it!

Summer Skis, the boat on the left is a 43' and Beso is a 40'

If you want to read all the issues of Circumnavigator magazine, Click Here. There are four issues so far, with the fifth in the works.






No comments:

Post a Comment